Unplanned. Unwanted. Unexpected. Those three terms are the most common descriptors for any pregnancy that comes as a surprise. Depending on a woman’s specific situation, any one of those three could possibly apply. And there are instances where, incredibly enough, all three could describe a pregnancy.
Given the emotional involved with this type of pregnancy – not to mention the situation a woman finds herself in – we thought it would be helpful to offer some facts on unplanned, unwanted and unexpected pregnancies.
These statistics offer a sobering assessment of crisis pregnancies in Southern California and throughout the United States. While the sheer data seems to create an overwhelming sense of hopelessness for a woman involved in a crisis pregnancy, please understand that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Here are some facts regarding unwanted, unexpected and unplanned pregnancies in the U.S.
- 9 out of every 10 abortions in the United States are the result of an unwanted pregnancy.
- 84% of women who’ve had an abortion say they would’ve kept their babies if their situation had been different (planned pregnancy, better support, etc.).
- Over 40% of births from fathers less than 24 years old are unplanned. That figure is similar with women.
- Nearly half of all community college students (48%) are pregnant, or have gotten somebody pregnant. This could be due to the generally higher average age of community college attendants.
- About 55% of unplanned pregnancies happened to women in their 20s.
- Over 40% of births from mothers less than 24 years old are unplanned. That figure is similar with fathers.
Those are some of the facts involving an unexpected pregnancy. But what about the opinions – specifically, your own? If you’re unsure of how to proceed, or who to trust, or what to do, please know that the Turning Point Pregnancy Resource Center has the personnel, experience and programs in place to help you overcome the obstacles and empower you with practical choices.
Beyond the cold hard facts about unplanned and unwanted pregnancies, there’s yet another element involved that impacts women all throughout San Diego County, and all over the world – the emotional aspect of crisis pregnancies.
Facts are one thing – and emotions are quite another. We’ve offered plenty of stats and facts above, but women like you also require a stable setting and a safe haven to discuss their current situation, and also what steps to take in the near future. Turning Point’s comprehensive resources, tools and personnel are specifically designed to help women in situations just like yours – and unwanted, unexpected or unplanned pregnancy.
Add up the facts and emotion behind a crisis pregnancy, and you’re faced with a complex, seemingly insurmountable obstacle between you and a “normal” life. Turning Point understands the “new normal” of an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy, both from a factual and emotional point of view. Our counselors have assisted thousands of women, and we’d love to help you, too. But the first step is a courageous one – you have to be willing to trust someone you’ve probably never met before. Turning Point extends our love, compassion and heartfelt sympathy to you – and that is one fact we know is always true!
The Turning Point Pregnancy Resource Center offers no-cost, comprehensive medical care, guidance and support for women all across San Diego County. To learn more, please call our office at (858) 397-1970, or send an email to our crisis pregnancy consultants at email@example.com.